We have informed our users that we have discontinued our service of forwarding Google Voice SMS to email.
Google Voice released the same features, so we encourage our users to switch to Google Voice.
Log into your google voice account – Under “Settings” and “Voicemail and SMS” there is a checkbox to forward SMS.
Like GoogSMS, you can also reply to SMS by replying to the email.
We are exploring other features to add like Prowl notification, but there are already providers of the service. http://googlevoice.ub3rk1tten.com/voicegrowl
Thank you all for your support.
Here are some interesting metrics about GoogSMS‘s first week since it’s launch on Sept 1, 2009.
There are over 30 active users. Thanks to all the early adopters.
There have been over 2,500 messages forwarded.
Only 150 replies to the messages forwarded.
I would assume that most people would reply to their SMS. This leads me to believe that we need to educate our users about the ability to reply.
To that note
1. We’ve simplified the response process for Prowl users with a link in the Prowl notification. See blog post.
2. Added some bold text to the email message “Did you know” to draw attention to the fact that you can reply via email.
We have just gotten started with GoogSMS. So much great feedback from our vocal users. We hear you and are working hard to build the best product possible.
Here is a step by step on how to set up Google Voice SMS push notification to your iPhone using Prowl and GoogSMS.com
1. Sign up for Prowl
2. Generate an API Key from the Prowl Settings Page
3. Download Prowl from the app store ($2.99)
4. Login to your account on GoogSMS and add your API key to your profile
That’s it. You will get a Prowl notification of your next SMS. It should also show up in your inbox.
Don’t forget, you can reply to the SMS via the email.
* Some notes
– Prowl costs $2.99. However it can we used for many other services yet to be written.
– There is a redirect feature for Prowl to open up the mail app on the iphone when you view the notification. It takes you to a blank mail instead of your message. It’s a limitation of Prowl.
Sept 9, 2009 – We have implemented a new link in the prowl notification for easy response. See blog post
How to send a Google Voice SMS:
Subject: phone number to text
Body: your message
How to reply to a Google Voice SMS email:
Just hit the reply button and type your message.
Sign up today to get started http://googsms.com
Yeah!! Finally got around to purchasing and setting up a domain for my google voice sms email notification.
Added FAQ to the page as well.
Rolling out a feature in a few days. It’s what everyone has been asking for … Reply and Send SMS’s via email.
It’s going to be awesome.
I’ve just put up the beta version of Google Voice SMS Email Notification. When you get a SMS to your google voice number, it will be forwarded to your registered email address.
It’s very simple. Just login with your google email adress and password. New SMSs will be forwarded to your email account.